Family Advocacy Workshops
The Maricopa Community Colleges are launching a series of Family Advocacy Workshop in fall 2018 and spring 2019. The Maricopa Community Colleges recognize that in order for students to be academically successful, it is important that families and support systems understand how to support their college student.
“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” ~ Kofi Anan
The workshop series will provide students’ families and support systems with the tools on how to advocate for their students. Families and support systems will learn to recognize when their student is in need of services and resources available to them – at no cost to the student. Most importantly, families and support systems will increase their awareness and emotional support, fostering positive academic and student success outcomes.
Who Should Attend a Workshop?
- Family and support system members of Maricopa Community College students currently enrolled in classes or thinking about enrolling.
- Family and support system members of first generation and/or low-income students.
- Family and support system members of future Maricopa students.
Why Should Family/Support System Members Attend a Workshop?
By attending a Family Advocacy Workshop, families and support systems will be better equipped to assist their students, when faced with challenges that may prevent degree, certificate, or goal attainment. It is important to recognize that everyone has different skills, interests, obligations, and time constraints. In order to address the cultural and educational challenges impacting students, there are many ways to create the necessary means of supporting them and we are here to help foster their development.>/p>
When are the Workshops Offered?
Fall Workshops will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2018
- Chandler-Gilbert Community College, Student Center, 7-8 PM
- Phoenix College, Student Life Building, 6-7:30 PM
Where will the Workshops be Offered?
Chandler-Gilbert and Phoenix Colleges will be hosting workshops fall 2018.
What topics will be covered?
The Family Impact of a College Education
- Discover why supporting your student toward a degree or certificate is important, not only for them, but for your family.
- Learn about how your student is not alone in their college experience.
- Hear from college representatives who can speak to their own journey to get their degree; and the impact it has had on their family.
- Identify obstacles and barriers that can prevent your student from getting that degree/certificate and ways to overcome them.