Student Testing and Assessment Centers provide academic and vocational testing to help students accomplish their educational goals.
Placement tests are simply a tool to help students enroll in courses that are the best fit for them.
Placement testing is REQUIRED for English, Math and Reading. You may retake English, Reading, or Math once (after a 24 hour waiting period). An additional re-test is permitted one year from the date of a student’s original test or re-test.
New students should plan on taking their placement tests before seeing their academic advisor. There is no charge to take placement tests.
To take a test, you must present:
A valid and current picture identification.
- This includes students under the age of 18.
- An original ID (not a photocopy or reproduction).
- Your MCCCD Student ID number.
NOTE: Some colleges require appointments while others can accommodate walk-in testing. Check in advance.
Photo ID Requirements
Acceptable forms of photo ID include:
- Driver’s License or State ID
- School ID
- Military ID
- Tribal ID
- Naturalization Card
- Official school transcript with photo, official seal must cover part of photo
Unacceptable forms of photo ID include:
- Charge, bank, credit or check cashing cards
- Employee ID
- Photo ID issued for promotional purposes (e.g. amusement park)
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card
- Organization Membership Card
- Child Find ID Card
- Police Report of stolen wallet or purse
- Parents Photo ID
- Graduation Photo
- Fishing or Hunting License
- Web page with photo
Check the site information for your college to confirm locations, testing dates/times and local testing regulations.
Placement Test Cutoff Scores determine what course a student should be placed in.