All students are classified for tuition purposes under one of the following residency classifications:
- Maricopa County resident
- Out-of-County resident
- Out-of-State resident (including F-1 non-immigrant students)
Please Note: Residency for tuition purposes is determined in accordance with state law (ARS §§15-1801et seq.) and regulations of the Maricopa Community Colleges Governing Board. All of the Maricopa Community Colleges are subject to the statutes and regulations. Students who have questions about their residency should contact the Admissions and Records Office/Office of Student Enrollment Services for clarification.
For more information about the provisions of the statute and corresponding regulations, in regards to Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD), see APPENDIX S-1 of the MCCCD Online Policy Manual, adopted by the Maricopa Community Colleges Governing Board.
In APPENDIX S-1, you will find information such as:
- Implementation requirements: defines the implementation steps that must be followed by the student, the college, and the MCCCD District
- Definitions: the definition of key terms used in Appendix S-1
- Presumptions Relating to Student Status: unless there is evidence to the contrary, the registering authority of the community college that you are registering at will make these presumptions
- In-State Student Status: defines the requirements for in-state status
- Proof of Residency: when residency is questioned, these are the examples of the proof that can be provided
- Alien In-State Student Status: defines the requirements for an alien to have in-state status
Visit residency related FAQs for additional information.
Arizona has several statutes, such as Prop 300 (2006), HB2008 (2009) and SB1070 (2010) affecting immigration status. If you are new to the MCCCD, establishing residency and citizenship or lawful status is vital because students are charged a different tuition rate depending on what classification they fall under.
If you are a student new to the Maricopa Community Colleges, and you enroll via My.maricopa.edu, you are considered an out-of-state student until proof of residency and citizenship or lawful status is established with the Admissions and Records Office/Office of Student enrollment services at the college you are planning to attend.
You may find the following links about residency and citizenship useful: