If you have been selected for the financial aid verification process, begin by watching the tutorial below to help you understand the general procedures. In addition, you should review the frequently asked questions to ensure you will be able to fulfill the verification requirements completely and efficiently.
Frequently Asked Questions about Financial Aid Verification
What is financial aid verification?
- Verification is a process to validate the data that you supplied on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- The verification process is mandated by federal law requiring the Department of Education to randomly select students’ FAFSA records for verification
- If you are selected for verification, your college is required to collect and review documentation to verify the information you provided on your FAFSA.
- Students selected for verification will not recieve financial aid funds until all requested documentation has been submitted by the student and verified by Maricopa Community Colleges.
Why does verification occur?
- Verification occurs to ensure that the information reported by a student on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is accurate and complete.
- A portion of all students who apply for financial aid are randomly selected by the US Department of Education for the verification process.
- If you are selected for verification, it does not mean you have done something wrong. The verification process ensures that eligible students receive all of the financial aid they are entitled to for an academic year.
How do I know if I have been selected for verification?
Your Student Aid Report (SAR) will indicate whether or not your FAFSA application has been selected for verification.
- Your SAR can be accessed via a link sent to you by the Department of Education.
- Look for an asterisk (*) next to your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) figure and read the message within the document.
- You will receive a notification from Maricopa Community Colleges once notification is received at your college or skill center. The financial aid office will post information in your To Do List within your online Student Center to let you know that you have been selected for verification.
Where are the required verification forms and how do I submit them?
- For the 2013-2014 Financial Aid Year including summer 2014, click here for verification documents, forms, and submission requirements.
- For the 2014-2015 Financial Aid Year (Fall 2014, Spring 2015, and Summer 2015 and Skill Center from July 1, 2014-2015) click here for verification documents, forms, and submission requirements.
Please note: The financial aid award process is not valid until the verification process is complete. The suggested award amount(s) mentioned on your FAFSA Confirmation and on the SAR are not valid and will not be awarded until the verification process is complete. Award amounts may change upon completion of the verification process.