A variety of applications and programs are available to you as a student of the Maricopa Community Colleges. This includes use of Google Drive, Microsoft Office 365, and other programs free of charge. Explore the different options available to you by navigating to the pages located on the right-sidebar.
Microsoft Office 365
Maricopa Community Colleges provides Microsoft Office 365 to every current student free of charge!
Office 365 is the latest version of Microsoft’s productivity suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, OneNote, and more. It is available for offline and online use to best prepare you for class. As long as you are currently a student at one of the Maricopa Community Colleges, you’ll be able to use this software for free.
Some of the benefits of this partnership are…
- The ability for students to install on up to five compatible computers, plus five mobile devices (including an iPad)
- The use of OneDrive for automatic device syncing
- The use of the same programs as your instructors to ensure file compatibility
To download and access your Microsoft Office, follow the appropriate steps below.
Please Note: You will need your Maricopa student email account to sign in. You should verify that your MEID account is working and that you can log in to your Online Student Center or student Gmail account before you attempt the steps below. For new students who have just created or reactivated an MEID, there is a delay of from one to three hours after your MEID is working before you can use it to download Office 365.
For PC and Mac
- Read the "Note" above, then visit login.microsoftonline.com.
- Enter your Maricopa Student account email address (yourMEID@maricopa.edu) and press the Tab key. Wait for your browser to redirect from Microsoft's site back to the MCCCD authentication page and then enter your current MEID password. Click on "Sign In" or press the Enter key. Your browser should then redirect to the Office 365 "portal page" ready for you to download the Microsoft Office 365 applications. [Faculty/staff note: use the same yourMEID@maricopa.edu format as indicated, not your college-specific address].
- If your password fails (you see the message "Incorrect user ID or password. Type the correct user ID and password, and try again."), check your Caps-Lock key and try again several times to be sure you are entering your password correctly. If your password continues to fail, please go through the Troubleshooting Steps below before you request support.
- After successfully signing in, you will land at the download page. Note there are some options to select concerning the download process above the "Install now" button. The options include choosing a language and whether you want the installation to 1) change your web browser default search engine to Bing, and 2) change your web browser homepage to Microsoft's MSN website. To deny these changes, simply uncheck both checkboxes before finally hitting the "Install now" button.
For Mobile Devices
- Read the "Note" above, then search within the appropriate app store for Microsoft Office tools. Using the search terms “Microsoft Office Mobile” should bring up the appropriate app for most devices.
- Please Note: iPads do not offer a single Microsoft Office app and all tools require individual downloads (ie “Microsoft Word for iPad”).
- Download the app(s) for your use.
- Use your Maricopa email address (yourMEID@maricopa.edu) and your current MEID password as necessary to access tools. If your password does not seem to work after several attempts, please go through the Troubleshooting Steps below before you request support.
- First, visit My.maricopa.edu and log in to your Online Student Center to ensure your MEID and password are working correctly. Allow at least three hours since your MEID was created or reactivated (and tested with the Online Student Center) before trying to access Office 365. Only students currently enrolled in an MCCCD class are eligible for this program.
- Please Note: New students who drop all their classes without attending Maricopa will have their Office 365 account disabled. Students must complete a class or be graded "W" several weeks into the term to preserve eligibility for an active Office 365 account. Recent former students will retain Office 365 access until approximately a one-year window after their last completed class.
- Using a web browser, navigate to tools.maricopa.edu and log in with your MEID and password (and the verification text). You can use a computer or a mobile device for this step.
- On the “Password and Security” page, enter your current password twice (as both the Current and New values), click both “Show password” checkboxes to verify you entered them correctly, and then click “Save all account changes” to sync your password to the Office 365 cloud.
- Wait three minutes or longer for the synchronization process to complete, then start again at Step 1 of of "For PC and Mac" or "For Mobile Devices." Please wait for at least ten minutes and try again before calling for technical support to allow adequate time for the synchronization process to complete under all conditions.
How do I get the 64-bit version of Office for 64-bit Windows?
Even if your operating system is 64-bit Windows, it's recommended that you stick with the default 32-bit Office available from the initial download page. Read about less common situations where users may need 64-bit Office at this article.
To get the 64-bit version:
- Uncheck / Check the checkboxes for your preferences related to the installation changing your default search engine and browser homepage, as described in Step 4 of "For PC and Mac."
- Select the "Change" link next to your selected language.
- On the next page select the "Advanced" link under the "Version" subheading and you will now be able to select 64-bit from the dropdown menu.
- Hit the "Install" button to begin downloading.
What if my previously installed Office 365 no longer works?
Only students currently enrolled in an MCCCD class are eligible to use Office 365. New students who drop all their classes without attending Maricopa will have their Office 365 account disabled. Students must complete a class or be graded "W" several weeks into the term to preserve eligibility for an active Office 365 account. Recent former students will retain Office 365 access until approximately a one-year window after their last completed class.
If you are still eligible to use Office 365 and your continue to have issues with the software, follow the steps below. (Note that this may not work for Windows 10 users.)
- Login to your Microsoft Office account, as described in Steps 1-3 of "For PC and Mac."
- Click on the "Deactivate" link next to the device whose Office 365 is no longer working.
- Reinstall Office 365 on your PC/Mac or mobile device following all the steps in "For PC and Mac" or "For Mobile Devices" respectively.
Please Note: Office365 provided by Maricopa Community Colleges is for personally-owned (home) computers and devices. The Maricopa Community Colleges already provide access for all students to Microsoft products as a standard computing practice.