Placement tests help you begin your education at Maricopa County Community Colleges with the classes that are right for you. If you plan taking college-level English, Reading, or Math, and/or English is not your first language, you will need to take placement tests before you can register for classes.
You will review your scores with an academic advisor, and then decide together which English, Reading, and Math courses offer you the best path for academic success.Please note: These tests are not admissions tests, but rather, a way to determine your best options for Reading, English, and Math classes.
Keep in mind...
- Prepare for your placement test and get placed in the appropriate level
- All Maricopa Colleges have testing options
- Placement tests are not pass/fail
- Proctored Testing is available for out-of-state students
- Photo ID is required for all testing
- Test scores take up to 24-hours to update in your academic file
- New degree seeking students may be asked to take a placement test
- Each college offers appointments and/or walk-in testing
Learn more about Testing Services, your college's requirements, and find contact information on the Testing Services resource page.
Accuplacer is an untimed, computer-based, adaptive placement test and is designed to identify your skill levels in English language usage, Reading, and Math.
CELSA (Combined English Language Skills Assessment) is a 45-minute multiple choice test designed to measure context and grammatical understanding of the English language for students speaking English as a second language. Questions about ESL placement should be directed to a college ESL Advisor. Click here to access English as a Second Language (CELSA) practice questions.