Return of Federal Funds

Title IV Funds Requirements

The federal code of regulations 34 CFR 668.22 defines the treatment of withdrawals, the calculation of earned and unearned aid, the disbursement or return of federal funds, and the timelines for each.

If you leave college or fail to satisfactorily complete the days enrolled and scheduled to complete, you may owe federal funds that are determined to be unearned as defined by these regulations.


Return of Title IV Funds Summary

Whenever you withdraw from your classes after the drop/add period, there can be serious consequences for you. This includes the possibility of owing the college and/or the U.S. Department of Education for the portion of federal student aid calculated as unearned. It is your responsibility to understand these possible consequences. In order to assist you, we have developed the following summary of its Return of Title IV Funds Policy.


Federal Aid Earned

You earn federal student aid by attending courses scheduled for enrollment in a semester by completing the days scheduled to complete coursework.


Greater than 60% Equals 100%

As a federal aid recipient, you are considered to have earned 100% of your aid if you complete more than 60% of the total days scheduled to complete within a semester time frame.


What is the length of the semester block (to determine the 60% point in time)?

For federal Return of Title IV Funds purposes, the length of a semester block and the 60% date depends your courses enrolled start and end dates. The total number of days is counted from the start of the semester to the end date of the last course scheduled to complete (i.e., has the latest end date), excluding scheduled breaks that are five or more consecutive days. This may be less than the full length of a semester, which is 16 weeks.


Withdrawal from College

For federal aid purposes, when you withdraw from college within the semester if any of the following apply, unless documented that you completed the days scheduled to enroll.

  • Withdraw from all courses
  • withdraw from all course(s) scheduled to complete for which a grade(s) is yet to be assigned
  • submit a Medical Withdraw Form to withdraw from the college because of special circumstances
  • receive all non-passing grades in scheduled courses
  • receive a non-passing grade in the last course(s) scheduled to complete, i.e., the course with the latest end date in your enrollment schedule, unless the last date of attendance is at the end of the course.


Return of Federal Student Aid Funds

Per federal regulations, we must determine the amount of federal grant and/or loan assistance a student earned. If less assistance is received than what was earned, you may qualify for those funds. If more assistance is received than earned, the unearned funds must be returned. Any portion of funds returned by the school is your obligation to your home institution/college. In addition, you may owe funds directly to the federal programs, e.g., loan funds. Funds will be returned in the order below as prescribed by federal regulations, within 45 days from the date of determination that you withdrew.

  • Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans
  • Subsidized Federal Direct Loans
  • Federal Direct PLUS loans
  • Federal Pell Grants
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)
  • Federal Iraq Afghanistan Grant

You will be notified:

  • within 30 days of the date it is determined that you withdrew, if you qualify for a post-withdrawal disbursement,
  • within 30 days of the date it is determined that you withdrew, if you owe a grant overpayment,
  • within 60 days of the date it is determined that you withdrew, if you received an excess of funds that was returned by the College and owes it money.


Return of Military Tuition Assistance

Per federal regulations and as a military and veteran student, we must determine the amount of federal aid received....